Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Working with Microsoft Excel

For what it does, Microsoft Excel is a relatively easy software to use, although, I did encounter a few problems as I went through the exercises. This I think, is due to not using the application often enough (definitely not as often as Word) and so having a lack of practice. Entering and presenting data wasn't too difficult as I have done it before, except for the "gain" and "losses" part which is new to me. It is a very useful function nevertheless but I think I would need to practice more often and find out how to come up with a formula like the one in the exercise to know how to apply it to another situation. The graphs were pretty easy to do and there was no fiddling around surprisingly. I knew what the Macros were after reading the instructions but still had trouble putting it all together. This was mainly because I thought I knew what I was doing and tried to skip some of the steps. Unfortunately I didn't actually know what I was doing and had to go back several times to get it, i.e. it was confusing because I made it so. To be honest however, I would not know how to do all of this part again in another situation without looking at a similar set of instructions. It is a very useful function but I don't think I will be using it often in the near future. With practice though, I'm sure I will be able to master these uses of the application. I can see myself using Excel to calculate figures if I decide to own my own business and creating charts and graphs both for assignments and other personal use should the need arise.

No comments: