Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Working With Microsoft Word

For most of the tutorial exercise, Microsoft Word was a breeze to use. Opening, typing and saving is second nature after years of doing it at school! Bold, italics and bullets weren't exactly too difficult either although it was good to have a go at putting in headers and footers, things I'm not used to putting in my own Word documents. The 'track changes' exercise was a new experience and could be put to good use by people who read and edit your drafts I think. It's also good if you want to look at your creative process in writing a piece but then there could be too many changes to track and make the page unreadable. I've always wondered how schools and companies send out the same letters with different details and how long it would take their staff to retype these details for each letter. Well now I know they don't, after doing the mail merge exercise. Mail merging is definitely one of the most useful things I've learnt this tutorial and I have a feeling I will be using this quite often. The sample text is also very relevant as I will most likely be typing a similar resume and handing it out to different potential employers in the near future. Overall, none of the exercises were too difficult and I did not encounter any problems, which I think is a feature of new technology- as technology advances it also becomes easier to use and less confusing.

No comments: